Gmail is the most used web-based email client. However, this does not make much use for large organizations and businesses. Which requires them to choose a desktop email client or batter cloud plan, and most users prefer to use Office 365 for better convenience. Because it provides an online productivity facility and you can use any service with the help of the internet like MS Office application, Exchange server, business Skype etc. So if you wanted to switch Gmail in Office 365 with all stuff like email, contact, calendar etc. then keep reading and know how to upload Gmail mail to Exchange online. Gmail mailbox to Office 365 or Exchange online migration using IMAP process is little long but it’s free to perform.
Gmail to Office 365 Migration has several steps.
Image source pixabay
- Verify domain.
- Create a CSV file using Excel.
- Login to Office 365 Admin Center via Micorsoft.live.com
- Export Gmail mailbox to Office 365
- Migrate Gmail Contact to Office 365
- Import Gmail Calendar to Office 365
1- Verify domain: it is not necessary to migrate your domain to Office 365, but if you want to verify that your domain used for Gmail account then verify it first. Otherwise use company.onmicrosoft.com domain, included with Office 365 subscription instead of your custom domain.
- Login to office 365 admin center with go to the portal Microsoft.live.com
- Go to domains
- Add domina>>click on next if you have a domain then confirm your ownership
2- Create a CSV file: CSV file is the first step to perform the migration from Gmail to Office 365. It contains Email Address Username and password of batch users and saves in .csv (common separate value) format.
- Open Excel worksheet
- Make three column Email Address, username, & password.
- Enter valid credential of each mailbox in excel file like:
Note: Put Office 365 email address in Email address section, Username contains Gmail mailbox address and corresponding password
- Save your excel sheet in .csv format
3- Create Endpoint: After creating a .csv format, return to the admin center and create an Endpoint for migration
- Go to Exchange Admin Center
- Go to Recipients>> Migration>> More(…) >> Migration Endpoints
- Hinting the plus sign (+), we can create new migration endpoint >> choose IMAP then next
- Set IMAPServer is gmail.com on the IMAP migration configuration page, and rest is OK click next
- enter migration end-point name like IMAP migration or something else
- Enter the value of Maximum concurrent migration and maximum concurrent increment syncs.
- Click to Newand finish the process of creating a migration endpoint.
- When the process has been done then go to next steps
Migrate Gmail mailboxes to Office 365: Again return to Exchange admin center, for the further process, we will import multiple Gmail mailboxes to Office 365 at once by using migration batch.
- Select Recipients>> Migration in the Exchange Admin Center
- Click on New(+)>> Migrate from Exchange Online
- Select IMAP Migration >> Next
- choose Browseto add the migration file which was we create in .csv format then next
- Here, you see the migration endpoint>> Set migration endpoint & choose Next
- If you want to change the migration batch name then change it here. And you can also exclude the folder if you want. After complete these process choose Next
- Choose automatically start the batch and you can also add the username that receives the report when the migration is completed >> then click New.
- Migration batch will be started and we will soon back to exchange admin center and see the status SyncingOtherwise Go to EACand select Recipients >> Migration
- When the sync is going to complete then you see in the no. of synced is completed or finalized or fails.
- Double click on IMAP for checking the IMAP migration batch report
- Double click on report >> you can directly go to .csv file where you can see the status of migration.
- Now check your Outlook 365 mailbox to ensure the migration is successful.
5- Migrate Contacts from Gmail to Office 365: You can import your Gmail contact to exchange online and easily fetch the contact into the outlook 365. Follow these steps for perfect migration.
- Open Gmailaccount
- Go to Contacts
- Click on More>> then Export option
- Choose Outlook CSVoption & click Export
- Your contacts save in CSV format.
- Login to Office 365
- Go to People >> click on Manage >> Import contacts
- In the right side pane, click onGmail
- Browse & select your CSVfile >> click on open
- In few second yourGmail Contacts successfully imported into Office 365
6- Import Gmail calendar to Office 365: It’s quite easy to perform and after this process, you can receive a universal format. Which can accessible in any email clients.
- Again go to Gmail account
- Open Gmail calendar
- Go to SettingMenu >>choose settings again
- Go to import &Export Option
- You see the separate import export section >> click on export
- Your contacts save in zip folder extract it.
- Login to Outlook 365 account >> Go to calendar >> Add Calendar
- Choose from file>> browse & select your calendar which you extract in .iCal format >> click Open
- The process begins shortly and after importing Gmail contact in office 365 successfully, you can see these entries in the Outlook 365
Note: IMAP migration method will work only when you are planning to move data directly from Gmail account to Office 365 mailbox. But if you have already archived your Gmail data to MBOX format using Google Takeout and want to import that file to O365 then this will not work. In that case, you may use MailsDaddy MBOX to Office 365 Migration Tool. The tool quickly upload multiple MBOX files to O365 cloud mailbox.
Conclusion: I showed you, “how to import Gmail mail to office365 using IMAP”. And also defines the method to migrate Gmail calendar and contacts to Office 365. You can simply follow the above steps to easily perform the migration from Gmail to Office 365. If you have any query related to this topic comment on below section. I will be happy to help you.