Whether you want to treat the technophile in your life, or are simply looking for a smart and sophisticated present for someone special, the range of technological gadgets is almost limitless. This year is proving to be an exciting one in the world of technology, with plenty of new deals to catch your eye.
1. The SureFire UB3T Invictus is certainly not just a torch. This state-of-the-art device, developed for use by SWAT teams in the location of suspects and for blinding them temporarily, this extraordinarily powerful lamp is ideal for surveying mountainous landscapes when searching for trails, or for providing incredible illumination during a night-time trek, ride or boating trip. Its internal microprocessor controls its LED, which has a power of 800 lumen, and you can use the selecting ring to choose between 8 different levels of illumination. This is a smart torch for the 21st century explorer, and an essential gadget for the outdoors geek.
2. The Magnepan Maneplanar 1.7m Speakers would make the perfect gift for any music lover, or a tech-enthusiast who likes it loud. These speakers, almost as large as doors and about as flat, open up sound and enable you to experience your music as you’ve never heard it before. They are made possible by state-of-the-art ribbon-driver technology, which uses the suspension of hyper-thin mylar foil into a magnetic field to create a soundscape with incredible depth, range and clarity.
3. The Apple iPad 3 is certainly one of the most hotly anticipated gadgets for this year, with speculation at fever pitch for many months as to what Apple’s newest product would bring to the table. Its incredibly sharp 10-inch, retina display delivers a crisper, more realistic visual, with extra-sharp text, photos, videos and menus. Its brand-new A5X chip powers the 3.1 million pixel display, a 5 megapixel camera, ultra-fast 4G, and much more. With over 200,000 different apps now available from the App Store, users can populate the tablet with everything they need to communicate, share, store, organize and broadcast their lives as they please.
4. The Playstation Vita is Playstation’s next-generation handheld games console, called the ‘Playstation 3 in your pocket’. It may be small, but it is incredibly powerful, running on a quad-core ARM-9 internal processor which powers its sharp 5-inch OLED touch-screen, as well as a tactile rear panel and two cameras which enable you to take full advantage of augmented-reality games. Light enough to be used for long gaming sessions without causing fatigue or hand strain, the device is nonetheless durable and hard-wearing, so it can withstand the wear and tear of travelling with ease. Far more graphically advanced than any of its competitor handhelds, the display is smooth, vibrant and bright, and renders even highly complex gaming environments with ease. The additional processing power means that it can get to grips with highly demanding games than simple app-store offerings, and there are Bioshock and Assassin’s Creed games available that show off some of the best of the Vita’s capabilities.
5. The Amazon Kindle Fire may not have shaken the Apple iPad from its top spot, but it is a brilliant device in its own right, with the full benefit of Amazon’s incredible range of movies, media and – of course – ebooks to keep any technophile happy for hours. At half the cost of the iPad, it’s certainly a more affordable alternative to a full-powered tablet, and an excellent cloud-based gadget. Using the e-ink technology of the previous Kindles, it is a solid 7 inches with a bright and vibrant 1024×600 LCD screen that displays graphics beautifully. Shopping for books, magazines, newspapers, apps, videos and music is effortless, and all purchases are stored free of charge in the Amazon cloud, so you can download them and synchronize them across multiple devices.