“I am using Office 365 suite from the last two years and lots of important information are present in my mailbox. But, when I heard about the data breaching issues associated with cloud, I am very much worried about my data. Therefore, I want to know Is there any Office 365 backup solution that will help to take O365 mailbox backup in an efficient manner. If anyone has any relevant method, then please let me know”
Office 365 suite is developed by Microsoft in June, 2011. It is a web-based service, that includes Exchange, Skype, Sharepoint, Outlook and so on. Usually, it is a business and enterprise-oriented application that provides access to cloud-hosted versions of O365 server. It is a secure place where users can save their critical data but we cannot ignore the issues that arises in the cloud storage. Therefore, to safeguard the data it is mandatory to keep backup copy O365 for future reference in case of server failure, or any data loss. And, this backup will be stored locally on the system. In the upcoming section, we will discuss the various Office 365 backup solution that will help you out to export PST from Office 365 online without any hassle.
An Automated Approach to Take Office 365 Backup
Office 365 Mailbox Export Tool is a renowned well-suitable program to export Office 365 Mailbox to PST, EML and MSG formats. A user-friendly interface of Office 365 Export tool makes it easy to take the data backup in a convenient way. A user only needs to download Office 365 backup software and migrate O365 mailbox to PST format. The working of this tool is mentioned below:
For Administrator level
Launch the Office 365 Export tool and select the Login
Images sent by author
- Check the checkbox, titled as Is Admin mentioned above Sign in option.
- Sign in with the credentials of O365 account to continue the further process.
- Select only those user Ids that you want to convert and click
- A new dialog box will appear. Select the email format from the “Select Email Format”. Now, a user has to opt Microsoft Outlook(PST) format.
- A PST splitting option is also available to prevent the corruption due to large PST size.
- The user can select various components of mailbox such as Calendars, Contacts, etc under the Select Categories. And, convert all the components as PST Format.
- If a user wants to export only selective data, then select the Date Filter
- After that, browse the destination path for the resultant PST file. Alternatively, a user can directly make a new folder for the output PST file from the software panel. Now, click OK.
- Click on Start button to export the Office 365 mailbox to PST format.
- A report will display on the screen that shows status of the ongoing export process. The Pause option is also available in order to make the ongoing process stop.
- Once the export process gets finished, the report status shows Completed.
- The report can be saved locally on the system in CSV format for future reference.
- The resultant PST file can be viewed on the destination location.
For Individual User
- Launch the O365 Export PST tool and click on Login.
- Enter the Office 365 account credentials in the required field.
- Select the desired folders and sub folders that will export into the PST file format. Then, click on Next.
- After that, follow the same steps that are mentioned in admin level from 5 to 13.
Know How to Take Office 365 Backup Manually
eDiscovery PST export tool is the inbuilt program of the Microsoft O365. Its main purpose is to add & remove members to a case, hold the place of content locations, create and edit content search and export the result of content search. It is used to preserve the data that will help out in a legal case. Before using eDiscovery export too, a user should follow these steps carefully:
- Assign the permissions to admin to access the Permissions within the Security and Compliance
- First of all, access the Security & Compliance Center. Then, make a new case for the eDiscovery tool under Search and Investigation
- Add users to the eDiscovery Case and assign them a particular role to export Office 365 mailbox to PST format.
- A user can preserve the content in litigation hold that might be used in a future case.
- A user can create and run one or more content searches that belong to the case.
Microsoft Office 365 is a web-based platform that provides software as a service(SaaS). Nowadays, it is widely accepted by the business enterprises for sharing the information. So for the data safety purpose, users are always advised to retain a regular backup copy of the data. In this article, we covered a manual approach i.e. eDiscovery PST export tool. This tool has certain limitation such as it stores a copy of data on cloud. So, it is not mostly preferred as an alternative solution of O365 backup. Although, a user can go for the Office 365 Export tool. It is a safe and reliable solution for Office 365 backup.
By Peter Baris