SQL Server maintains a special kind of file known as log files to record various operations being performed on the SQL Server database. In case of any database failure during transactions or corruption of actual data file (.mdf), it is often advisable to analyze the log files (.ldf) of that database. By analyzing the log files, user can easily determine the issue in any of the transactions and can decide which faulty transaction is responsible for the database failure or corruption.
One of the reputed software, SQL Log Analyzer allows users to analyze the log files effectively. Experts have examined the software under different conditions to measure its effectiveness and reliability. The following section aims to review the product based on its usage and testing.
Remarkable Features of SQL Log Analyzer
A number of tools are available in the market to analyze SQL log files. One of the best tools for the same purpose is SQL Log Analyzer that has been engraved with attractive features making it unique from other software of similar category. Let us have a discussion on its features:
Auto-Detection of MDF: Once the user has provided the location of log file (.ldf) to be analyzed, the software can automatically detect the location of MDF file in the same folder. However, user needs to provide the MDF file location if folders are different.
Images sent by author
Scanning Information: After the successful scan of log file, users gets all information regarding number of operations such as records, inserts, updates that have been performed on the SQL database during the transaction. The operational details are useful to understand the nature of transaction.
Sort Log Files: The different kind of transactions of log files can be sorted in ascending or descending order or based on particular time duration. This feature facilitates a faster access to different kind of SQL transactions.
Filter feature: The software supports filter to choose the duration of time for which the log needs to be exported from the scanned file. It helps in choosing only the desired log details, which are to be exported.
Export in different formats: SQL Log analyzer has the ability that allows user to export the analyzed log files into three different formats. User can choose any of the following formats according to requirement:
- SQL Server Database- The database credentials such as username, passwords needs to be provided to export in this format.
- SQL Server Compatible Scripts- The log file can be exported to script as .sql extension to export it into other database.
- Comma Separated values (CSV)– Log files can be exported as CSV to view the log details in other applications like Excel.
Additional Features: Apart from above discussed outstanding features, SQL Log Analyzer provides other services such as no file-size restriction during export, interactive user interface, support in offline database mode.
Versions of SQL Log Analyzer
The tool is available in two versions viz.:
- Demo Version: The demo version can be instantly downloaded from company official website for a first look of software. However, it has following limitations:
- It allows user to view only first 5 tables and 50 records per table.
- The export to different file format option is not available under demo version. User needs to install paid version for export utility.
- Paid Version: The paid version can be purchased from company’s official website after payment. It includes following additional features:
- Preview any number of tables and records per table.
- It allows user to export the file to multiple formats.
Other Specifications of SQL Log Analyzer
The tool poses the following specifications for its smooth working:
- Operating System- The software is designed to support Windows 10 and all below Windows version.
- RAM- There should be an approximate of 512 MB available RAM. However, 1GB is recommended for faster processing.
- Processor– Minimum 1GHz processor must be available. However, 2.4 GHz is recommended for swift response.
- SQL Server support– The tool effectively supports SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 and 2005 LDF files.
- No SQL Server installation is needed.
- Can view deleted database records.
- The log file cannot be analyzed without MDF file.
- Only one log file can be analyzed & exported at a time.
The software has been tested under Windows 7 environment. It worked efficiently without any breakdown. The detailed log files providing information about transaction, time, table name, transaction name are quite useful to understand the various transactions done on the database. Therefore, it can be said that software has fulfilled all the desired features to analyze the log files. SQL Server log file viewer can be rated as 9.8/10 as multiple log files cannot be scanned and exported at a time.
By Daniel Jones